Not sure what to do with your left over salmon or trout? Candy it!
This is one heck of a recipe, and you’ll be hooked after trying it. Give it a shot, and let us know how it goes!
Cook Time: 5 hours smoking and drying time
- 5 pounds skin-on salmon, cut into 2 inch wide strips about 5 inches long.
- 2 tablespoons Garlic powder
- 2 cups brown sugar plus 2 more sups for later.
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of cracked pepper
- 1-4 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons all seasoning barbecue fish mix
- 1 half cup of dijon mustard
- 1 half cup Worcestershire, sauce
- 6 cups apple wood chips
- Aluminum Foil
Keep an eye through the cooking process to make sure your times work. Different temperatures produce different results.
- Using several glass or plastic dishes Mix all dry ingredients. Place 1 half the mixture on the bottom. Lay out the fish strips and then mix seasonings and brown sugar together. salt and brown sugar together. Put a layer of salmon down on the dry mix, skin side up. Cover the salmon with more dry mixture. If you need a second layer of salmon, make sure the layer of salt and sugar between them is thick enough so that the pieces of salmon are not touching. Cover and let cure in the fridge 1 hour.
- Remove the salmon from the cure, place in glass baking dishes and add Honey, maple syrup, Worcestershire, Dijon and 2 more cups of brown sugar.
- Stir the mix with the fish and turn over the strips and submerse in the mix again.
- Place in fridge overnight.
- Remove racks in oven and place fish on rack with tooth picks in hanging fashion.
- Make a foli pouch for each rack. Fill each pouch with 3 cups of chips and spray with oil. Next poke holes in each pouch with a fork and place 1 on each rack. Heat oven to 400 Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 250 F. for 2 hours. Remove racks and reverse, bottom to top, top to bottom.
- Cook for an additional 1 hour. Turn off oven and let the jerky set. after 3 hours open oven and remove the dry jerky. Its Done.
- Refrigerate or freeze. though vacuum sealing will give you the best results.